A couple weeks ago I decided to reinforce my children's eating habits. My daughter has been having numerous health concerns. Nothing major, but when your child gets another cold, gets some form of infection, or something similar, you can't help but think that maybe something more is going on. So after discussing these issues with Doug, we decided that it is time to reinstate certain lifestyle changes that have been somewhat lost since Halloween. We started off by removing junk food from the house. No more licorice candy, and chocolate bars. I wanted to get the kids excited about this change, so that they would each want to make the change. I found the compromise. I told them that from now on their "candy" will be fruit like blueberries, raspberries, cherries, and any other fruit. I told them that I wouldn't take Halloween from them, but we will no longer purchase candy for our home. They are allowed as many apples as they want, and if we have the budget, and other fruit they can find in the fridge. We discussed as a group what vegetables they prefer, and made it very clear that vegetables will be a major part of our meals. What a change I have seen in them so far. Daniel who is my picky eater is eating his dinner now, without to much of a hassle. They each feel like they are apart of the food decision process so they are following the rules we decided. Taylor's health concerns have resolved themselves, and Donald is less tired. We decided that we also need more exercise as a family. So we decided that we are going to have family physical exercise time every day. Every night we are doing sit ups, push ups, and jumping jacks together. We are not only getting in shape together, but we are having more quality time together. What a difference I am seeing in our family interaction. At 6:00 my children are the ones reminding me that "its exercise time". It has only been a couple weeks, but already I am seeing results.
I have always felt that my children are very talented. Donald is a great artist who can draw anything he wants. Daniel is very athletic for a five year old. He has incredible balance, and I see him doing well in any sport he chooses. Taylor is our dancer. She is currently taking Ballet, and Jazz. I have always been amazed at how well she does with new dance moves. One of my favorite exercises is Zumba, and I actually have a Zumba disc for my Xbox Kinect. I was amazed at how well she was doing. I am pretty happy that she loves to dance, and is so talented at it.
1 comments:
Heather, you inspire me. I wish I had many of your great great strengths.
Post a Comment