14:57 -
No comments
No comments
Music For My Soul
Playing my French horn has always brought me joy. I remember being in grade 9, and sitting in my first band room, and the teacher playing all the instruments for us. He wanted us to get an idea of what each instruments sounded like. When I was 12 I briefly learned the piano, but I was foolish enough not to stick with it, and to this day I regret that decision. I remember when I started grade 7 being really disappointed because the school had just closed down the music program, and I couldn’t learn something other than the recorder. So when I started a new school, and was hearing all those instruments for the first time, I was on cloud 9. I remember falling in love with the sound of the French Horn. I decided then, that I was going to play the Horn. I was the only one who wanted to, so I got my first pick for the instrument.
After that it was a love/hate relationship. I remember loving the sound, and having a blast learning how to play it. Then for a brief moment, I became jealous of the Saxophone players. I got over that, and discovered that I was meant to play brass. I started high school, and soon learned to play the Trumpet as well. I remember struggling to play after graduation. I didn’t have the money to buy a Horn, and I didn’t know about any community bands. Knowing what I know now, I should have fought more. I keep thinking that if I kept it up better, where would I be now?
I am now currently playing regularly, and the skill is slowing coming back. I still have a ways to go to get to where I was. I made into the Gold Band for the Lethbridge Community Band Society. I am in a full Horn section with amazing players (one is a band teacher). My goal is to play in both community bands. I want to be in the silver band next year with my Trumpet.
Playing music is hard, and it takes a lot of my time, and energy, but I find that I think better. I am happier when I play, and I feel that I am using a gift that Heavenly Father gave me. Whenever I play, I notice that my children want to be a part of it (sometimes it makes practicing harder) but it’s still special. I hear Taylor humming the music that I was playing throughout the week. Daniel keeps trying to buzz into my mouth piece. Donald can ever play a few notes on my Trumpet. He is also currently learning to play the piano. I was listening to him this morning, and he was sound pretty good.
So on this Thanksgiving Monday, I am grateful for music.
Heather
0 comments:
Post a Comment