18:48 -
1 comment
1 comment
TESOL 103: 09/27/18 ; Week 2; Response to "Is The Great American Teacher Dead?"
According to Ivers, "Public speaking and teaching are cousins" (p. 49). Teachers are public speakers. Great teachers are great public speakers. If a teacher can delivery the subject matter in a way that students will get excited, then the teacher is successful. How a teacher delivers the lesson is just as important as the lesson itself. If a teacher isn't engaging then what are the students going to get out of the lesson? As a primary, and Sunday school teacher for my church, I have had lessons that were good and ones that were bad. The good ones were fun, engaging, and got the students interested in the subject matter. The bad ones were boring, and normally that was because I was either poorly prepared, or not excited about the subject. During my school training, I have witness numerous ESL (English as a Second Language) lessons. There were some where the time flew, and I was engaged, even though I was only an observer. The students were having fun, and so was the teacher. The delivery was good. Chances are, if the teacher is having fun, so are the students.
Ivers gives the readers a list of ways to know if the lessons are great. (p. 54)
- Concept of fairness
- Abstract in speech and thought
- Concern for self-image (the students feel secure)
- Dance (or other movements)
- Rhetoric (good delivery, entertaining)
- Jokes (make it fun)
The list goes on. Imagine for a moment an ESL teacher working with students on how to read and order food from a menu at a restaurant. What method would the students be more engaged it: the teacher standing in front of the class telling them how to order, and giving the students an activity where they practice ordering from a restaurant. More than likely the students will enjoy the practical lesson over the lecture, and will get more out of the lesson.
There are some amazing teachers our there. I have witnessed some in the work field. I have had some myself, and my children have had some amazing teachers too. The ones that stood out to me more, were the ones that loved what they are doing, and found ways to engage the students. These teachers had good delivery. So the question I want to ask myself is, "What are ways that I can help my future students be engaged?" In my opinion, if I have fun the students will have fun. So its time for teachers to start having fun.
1 comments:
I agree with you to highlight the list of ways to know that a class is great, as teachers we must include these elements to create a learning environment and motivation.
I always consider respect as an important element, but with the reading of the article I can recognize that care makes us more human and considerate with our students who are learning a new language.
I really like your blog
Post a Comment