Wednesday, 5 November 2014

09:43 - No comments

The Brazen Serpant

This week I studied to book of Numbers in the Old Testament. Numbers recorded the wanderings in the wilderness by the people of Israel. They faced many trials, suffered because of murmuring and disobedience, repented and were blessed, while they wondered in the wilderness for nearly 40 years. In Numbers 21, I learned about the brazen serpent, which is commonly seen as a medical symbol today.

The people of Israel once again murmured against the Lord and his chosen prophet. To help Israel turn to the Lord again, he cursed them with "fiery serpents" (Numbers 21:6). Those who were bitten died. Once Israel began to repent, the Lord commanded Moses to place a serpent made of brass upon a pole and raise it up before the people. If a person looked upon the serpent on the pole when bitten, they would be cured from the poison. Many were saved from this simple act of looking, while others refused to look and perished.

The brazen serpent is a symbol of Jesus Christ. When he lived upon the earth, he was raised upon a cross and died to redeem mankind. To be saved from death Israel needed to look upon the brazen serpent. To be saved from sin and death, we must look to Jesus Christ.

A person can "look to" Jesus Christ for healing by turning to the priesthood for blessings. I know that through the priesthood, a person can be healed from physical sickness and injury. I have seen myself become healed through blessings, but I have also seen healing denied. We must look to Him in faith and know that if we are not healed, it is for a purpose that we may not understand yet.

We can also be healed of mortal turmoil and suffering by looking to Jesus Christ. A person can look to Jesus Christ by trying to become like him, and by studying his life. I have had pain and suffering in my life. I "looked" to Jesus Christ by focusing on serving others. I have found solace and peace by trying to live like Him. This act is simple, but takes a lot of effort. During times of depression and pain, the simple act of serving others seems ineffective. But I have seem in my own life, how losing myself in the service of others helped me lose the pain too. I must make clear that when it comes to serious matters such a depression or other mental difficulties, merely serving others may not be enough. I believe strongly that to turn to Jesus Christ for healing also means accepting the medical help that is available in our day. By accepting the advice of an inspired doctor with an eye focused on the Lord, I believe that all mental turmoil can be overcome.

During a specific trying time in my life, I felt the oppressive suffering that I know others have faced too. During that time, I turned to the advice of good friends, family, and a caring bishop who knew how to help me. My bishop at the time taught me to lose myself in serving others. He advised me to focus on helping others instead of the pain I was feeling. The changes in myself did not happen right away, but slowly I began to notice that peace was coming to me more often. I began to forgive myself for my mistakes, and develop a deeper desire to follow Jesus Christ. While the road was long, I have seen myself healed by "looking to" Jesus Christ. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment