Wednesday, 30 November 2011

07:27 - No comments

Strong Wind

Well we have had a very interesting few days. As most of you know there has been some very strong wind in Southern Alberta this weekend. This is not new, and I felt like I was actually used to the wind by now. But Sunday was bad. I was begining to feel agitated every time there was a wind gust. It felt like my whole body was being blown about. If only that was all. Doug would go around the house checking to see if anything blew off, and so far we were unharmed (or so we thought). Monday came, and we were walking back home from my moms, when we noticed the SW corned of our roof had the shingles blown right off right to the wood. We didn't know what to do. Doug was flying back to work Tuesday morning. Normally someone in this situation would climb a ladder to the roof, and patch the job, and be done, no more worried. But have you seen our house. I haven't seen a ladder long enought to get to the roof. It was already Monday night, and we were starting to panic.

Well just as we got home, our Home teacher came over to visit. He saw us looking at our roof, and calmly told us that he will notify the Elders Quarum to get this fixed for us. He visted with us, and gave us a good message, and off he went. We are not the type of people to sit back and wait for service so Doug ran out, and got all the supplies we would need.

The next morning we called a guy named Ray Stanford who had a lift in town. We got his voice mail, and left a message. Then the time came when we had to take Doug to the airport. After I got home, I tried calling the guy again, and got his wife. She gave me his work number. I talked to him, and found out that Wednesday was forecasted for snow. He told me he would stop by after work to do the job for me, and if there is anyone else who can join him the job would go faster. It was then that that Elders Quarum contacted me, and we got it worked out to have Clayton Foster come by to help after work. But there was still a big problem. After work the wind was too strong to go on my roof. I was beginging to panic again. At this time, my visiting teacher came by to see me. We talked for a bit, and then one of my visiters shared an experience about wind, and prayer. So after they left I sat down with my kids, and we had a family prayer. We prayed that the wind would die down so that our roof can get fixed before the snow, so that there would be no water damage to our house. After the prayer my daughter Taylor asked if Heavenly Father said yes or no. I told her I didn't know yet, but everything will be okay if we put our faith in him.

The wind did die down about 7:30pm. And with it being Winter I figured it was too late to work on our roof. So I told myself that aslong as the roof was fixed with the next day or too, even with snow it should still be enough time before water damage. But then the phone rang. It was Ray Stanford. He told me he was on his way to come fix my roof. I was amazed. So I contacted Clayton Foster, and he told me he would get someone here.

By 8:00 Ray, and Clayton were on my roof with lights, and the shingles do the job. My home teacher was on the ground with his son, helping with my kids, and supervising the job. I was so amazed that people in this community would bend over backwards to help someone in need. I am so incrediably thankful to Ray, and Clayton for coming in the dark to help, and for our home teacher Kevin for the support he gave to our family. For my visiting teacher who brought comfort, and the reminder to pray. I am thankful for a community that strives to provide service, and I am thankful to be a part of that community. I remember having family scripture and prayer with the kids, and hearing the hammering. Donald asked what that I was, and I said it was the answer to our prayer, and Heavenly Father had said yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment